httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <>
Subject Re: NameVirtualHost
Date Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:25:23 GMT

On Mon, 27 Oct 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Care to mention any?

I'll analyse it when you and Rob repost the exact semantics of your joint
proposal.  It's not clear to me what they are.  Rob's was a weighted
system, your's was a precedence system.  Describe it as pseudo code if you
want, if that makes it more clear.

But for example, in your precedence system, how are we to hash when
someone puts an ip-based vhost, then a name-based one, then another
ip-vhost?  What if it's 500 ip-based vhosts, 300 name-based, and 400

Do we care?  I'd say we should.  I personally don't think we should allow
them to build configurations like that, which is why my proposal
explicitly says that IP comparisons are done at a certain point.  We
currently handle configs like that quite well.

View raw message