httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: NameVirtualHost
Date Mon, 27 Oct 1997 18:42:35 GMT

On Sun, 26 Oct 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Dean, on hashing: I think you could expand the ip and port part so that
> each possibility is hashed whenever it's left nonspecific.  I.e. let's say
> there's 5 IP addresses and a tuple of "bong.com::80"; hash 5 different
> tuples, each with the same config.  Likewise you could treat
> "bong.com:a.b.c.d:" by hashing for as many ports are listening.

I never said hashing was impossible, just difficult in this scheme.  Or at
least that's what I meant to say.  By difficult I mean that there are far
too many special cases that need to be dealt with, and so we'll probably
mess it up.

> Thus for every port and IP combination, you could get a list of valid
> hostnames or regex matches.  Have two tables - a hash table with exact
> hostnames, and a linear list of matching "*.host.com" file.  Search the
> hash table, then search the linear list.  I have *no* problem telling folks
> that if they want to optimize their vhost configurations, they should avoid
> "*.host.com" and explicitly list all possibilities.  You could also go
> crazy and ask DNS for all possible hosts at ".host.com" but I don't think
> that's necessary :)

It's not necessary to tell them to avoid *.host.com.  See my proposal for
a better solution.

regexs are evil in this setting.

Dean