httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject compliance
Date Sun, 26 Oct 1997 03:41:32 GMT
djb is well known for keeping qmail strictly compliant with the relevant
RFCs.  That includes never working around broken clients.  Here's some
folks happy that we don't follow the same idealism.

Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 1997 20:55:06 -0400
From: "Peter C. Norton" <spacey@avsi.com>
To: Qmail List <djb-qmail@koobera.math.uic.edu>
Subject: Re: Flaw in ez-mlm

On Sat, Oct 25, 1997 at 08:20:43PM -0400, Phillip R. Jaenke wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Sam wrote:
> > I have a better suggestion:  how about having MS and AOL fix their broken
> > software?  An equal sign in the local userid portion of an address is in
> > complete compliance with the RFCs.
>
> Good luck with that. It's easier to change it in ez-mlm than to convince
> AOL or M$ to conform to RFCs. ;P

You really think that?  It could actually be easier to get AOL and MSN to
conform to RFC's then to get DJB to break conformance with said RFC's in
his software.

All I can say is I'm glad DJB isn't writing apache :)

--
- Hofstadter's Law:  It always takes longer then you expect, -
- even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law -

Peter C. Norton
spacey@pobox.com