httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: cvs on nt
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:50:24 GMT
http://www.newmonics.com/~set/

There's other more recent ones too I'm sure.

They all suck in one way or another.  Even F-Secure's gui one sucks.  For
example, it uses the GUI thread to do all of its work.  Now it's
microsoft's fault that they have a single-threaded UI.  But F-Secure is
being just as short-sighted using that single-thread to do their
computational work.  If you receive a large file, your GUI becomes choppy.
But best of all -- suppose you're on a modem, and you're typing away at
f-secure ssh, and then your modem connection drops.  Win95 pops up a "do
you want to reconnect?"  dialogue.  If you time it right, you'll get a
complete system freezeup because the GUI thread is blocked on a TCP event,
but that event won't happen until you can click on the "reconnect"
button...  and that won't happen because... you're deadlocked!

Dean (waiting for super-duper C2 ssh for win32, hint hint)