httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: NameVirtualHost
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:27:29 GMT

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> Seems silly since www.mainserver.com is not a virtual host in this case.
> It's the real host.  Thought we had bashed this one to death, but I guess
> not.  Still lots of confusion.

Pretend there's no such thing as "the real host"... there isn't in the
code.  There's just a _default_ host, and you can explicitly override it
if you want.

Could also be "NameVirtualHost www.main"

> <VirtualHost www.main>
> ServerName www.main
> </VirtualHost>
>
> <VirtualHost www.virt1>
> ServerName www.virt1
> .
> .
> .
> </VirtualHost>
>
> ..followed by the other 2 virtual hosts?

Right.

> And there is no ServerName or anything else needed before the first
> virtual host - ie. in the main block?

It inherits from the "global server" ... which is a configuration
construct.

> I think when we document this we need to document it with some examples.

I'm now working on this.  I'm going to blow away all the old docs in the
process.

Dean