httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Module install steps
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 23:21:20 GMT

On Sat, 25 Oct 1997, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:

> That's a whole lot better than all the crap you had to do for PHP2.  I'd
> like to cut it even further though.  Would it be an idea to have Configure
> check modules/extra for the presence of any modules and automatically add
> these without having to be explicitly told to do so in the Configuration
> file?  I mean, if people go and put a module in there, chances are they
> want it compiled in.

I don't think this is quite right.  For example, in hotwired's build
environment they have a dozen "Configuration.foobar" where foobar varies
according to what site/machine it's been tuned for.  There are modules
that get included for some machines but not others.  None of those modules
are in modules/extra yet ... but ... well I guess they could put them
elsewhere.

> The second hand-edit might be eliminated by having a .module directive
> that adds something to the internal mime type table.  We already have a
> bunch of magic internal mime types.

But where would it do this?  Could the user override it?

Dean