httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject apache 2.0 config language
Date Sat, 25 Oct 1997 03:42:28 GMT
Folks may remember my proposed new language, which I wanted to parse with
yacc/bison.  Problem:  yacc is not thread safe.

bison is supposedly thread-safe, but last I tried I had to actually patch
the source to get it to work right.

While bison itself is GPL, its output isn't.  However if we've patched it,
then we're limited by GPL a bit.  We can use simple.h and hairy.h (the
bison engines which actually use the tables output by bison) *unmodified*
without being affected by GPL, but ... we have to modify them to get
thread-safe code.

We're probably fine if we provide the bison patches on our site --
distribution via http/ftp is "a medium customarily used for software
interchange" these days (this is the language of the GPL).

Folks who don't change the parser won't need bison at all.  The parser
generally won't need to be changed much after it's implemented.

At any rate, I'm not putting any further effort into bison until other
folks here have a look-see to make sure we're fine.

There is also byacc, which we could also patch to be thread-safe.

Dean