httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: pre-patch: struct sockaddr_in error messages
Date Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:11:23 GMT

On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> Ben Laurie wrote:
> >

> > Not convinced. The argument about our snprintf being broken but the
> > existing one not is spurious. If any of our code is broken, the user is
> > scuppered.
> >

> I think Marc's argument was that if our snprintf() was broken,
> the user was hosed. By only ``concern'' was that as it stands,
> the current ap_snprintf() function is a drop-in replacement
> for the ANSI-standard version. If we add the 2 extensions, that
> stops being the case. That's not a plus or a minus, but it _is_
> a change from the current baseline.

You mean a replacement for the POSIX version... and I'm not even sure it
is a replacement for the POSIX version, for example we don't use it for
floating point much so that may not even work.

I'm actually advocating more here -- don't think of it as snprintf any
longer, think of it as apache_printf or whatever you want.  At any rate
it's not something I want to fight hard for, so it's really up to you
guys.

Dean