httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: pre-patch: struct sockaddr_in error messages
Date Fri, 24 Oct 1997 23:08:56 GMT
Yes I want to remove HAVE_SNPRINTF.  And I'll even rename ap_snprintf if
that's what you guys want.  Given that *we* don't define HAVE_SNPRINTF
anywhere, this is safe.  ap_snprintf works on all of our architectures now
otherwise we'd have heard the problem reports I'm sure.  If it has a
problem on some architecture, then that's not an architecture we currently
support, and the port for it will have to fix the problem.

There's no reason for us not to do things like this, and there's a lot of
reason to do stuff like this.  In my past experience, extending the
printf() family leads to more informative error messages because it's
trivial to format your internal structures in a consistent way.

I disagree with making this another flag to aplog_error for the exact same
reasons that I don't like aplog_error in the first place -- it assumes it
knows far more about what you're doing than you do.  What happens when I
want to print two addresses in an error message?  Say I want to print the
proxy local and remote addresses?  Or say I want to print
r->connection->local_addr?  What, add another 3 flags?

Dean