httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject RE: apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_a.exe
Date Tue, 21 Oct 1997 23:49:10 GMT

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, David D'Antonio wrote:

> Unless you have a directory called \Program xxx\ (where xxx is before Files
> in the alphabet), I believe NT will provide a "DOS name" of PROGRA~1. They
> publish their name converting algorithm somewhere...

Right, or close enough.  PROGRA~1 is not guaranteed to be Program Files.

> I would think you could just use \"Program Files"\ and have it work as well...

The problem is that under unix it's the shell's job to bust up the command
line arguments and pass them to the program in an argv[] vector, so this
works fine.  Under WIN32 (and DOS, and OS/2, and Win 16) the program is
passed an unparsed single string from the command line.  It then has to
bust it up ... and the C runtime typically busts it up on whitespace
boundaries to form argv[].

A user reported that "\Program Files\Apache" didn't work.  So I'm guessing
that Microsoft's C runtime doesn't grok quotes.  Which is annoying.

Dean