httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject 4 forwarded messages...
Date Thu, 16 Oct 1997 16:51:41 GMT
+1 to doing away with .Z files.  I've never understood why we have .gz and
.Z ...

Dean

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 13:01:12 +0300 (EET DST)
From: Mustafa Akgul <akgul@Bilkent.EDU.TR>
To: mirrors@apache.org
Subject: tar.Z  files

I have a  simple  question .
Why do we carry  tar.gz and  tar.Z versions  at the  same time?

I   think  carry  tar.gz is  enough. tar.Z's  are taking
bandwith and  disk  space.

wuftpd  supports  on the  fly  translation  from .tar.gz to
tar.Z, if  there  are people  who still can not handle  tar.gz.

Can we move away  from .Z files ?

Regards
Mustafa Akgul

> Why do we carry  tar.gz and  tar.Z versions  at the  same time?
>
> I   think  carry  tar.gz is  enough. tar.Z's  are taking
> bandwith and  disk  space.
>
> wuftpd  supports  on the  fly  translation  from .tar.gz to
> tar.Z, if  there  are people  who still can not handle  tar.gz.
>
> Can we move away  from .Z files ?

I also would gladly live without tar.Z files.

--w