httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: 1.3b1 bug in making support/htdigest.c
Date Thu, 16 Oct 1997 07:13:05 GMT

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Manoj Kasichainula wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 12, 1997 at 05:04:41PM -0700, Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > The solution, which we've talked about, is to make a libap directory
> > containing these things (and other things like most of everything in
> > util.c).  We can start off with the easy stuff that doesn't require
> > alloc.c -- that's most of the portability stuff anyhow.
>
> I'd like to give this a crack, as sort of an intro to how things work
> in the code. Would this basically be all of the ap_* functions?

Ideally it'd be all the ap_* functions and macros.  Unfortunately in
practice conf.h makes things messy.  So to start with it should be
ap_signal (well, actually, signal() from http_main), and probably the
handful of things like strcasecmp, etc. from util.c which are generic
portability functions.  You could move util_snprintf.c and fnmatch.c to
the libap directory as well.

If anything needs to be changed then it's probably not a good idea to do
it now, so ask.  Just moving where things are compiled shouldn't be an
issue though.

> BTW, any good documents or good starting points for learning about the
> code. Is it worth the trouble at this point, or should I wait until
> development on 2.0 starts?

IMHO it's worth learning 1.3 as well ... 'cause we can always use the
extra eyes/hands.  A word of warning, when you do post a patch, we
sometimes take forever to act on it, you may need to repost it a week or
two later... we're just slow (or busy with our real jobs is more like it).
We're in feature freeze as you probably know, but there's a lot of open
bugs to be dealt with.

Dean