httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject C++ (was Re: in progress: vhosts yet again)
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 22:58:14 GMT

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> BTW, chaps, I've started using STL recently. You really don't know what
> you are missing. Did I ever mention that C++ is a really nice language?

What's STL?

I wouldn't mind revisiting the C++ debate.  I'm happy if we restrict
ourselves to things that are implemented efficiently ... i.e. stuff for
which the compiler knows all the method offsets at compile time, so that
rules out multiple inheritance.  We'd have to compare the subset that
works in both MS C++ and g++.  And we'd lose platforms that have native
ansi-c compilers but don't have a g++ port (such as ... ?).

We'd alienate 3rd party modules, they'd all need rewrites into C++... my
particular vision of 2.0 at the moment doesn't require module rewrites,
just a few name changes (to abstract all system calls).

Dean