httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: more vhost thoughts
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 18:36:24 GMT

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > 2.
> >
> > The Port directive is a non-intuitive mess when applied to vhosts.  Consider:
> >
> >     <VirtualHost 127.0.0.1>
> > 	Port 8080
> >     </VirtualHost>
> >
> > That's a vhost on port 80, which will issue redirects indicating port 8080.
> > Solution?
>
> I am more concerned about the case where someone makes a vhost on a
> different port (eg. main server port 80, vhost 8080) and forget the Port
> directive.  I'm afraid I'm not entirely clear on what the Port directive
> does that can't be figured out by what port something is really on.

The Port directive with virtual hosts is supposed to dictate only how
redirects are formed within that virtual host (the redirects requiring a
full-uri).  The Port directive globally has that function for the main
server, but it also dictates the default Listen if no other Listen is
specified.  It's the latter behaviour that I think causes confusion in a
vhost.

We just need some way to generate the canonical servername:port for
generating redirects ... right now ServerName and Port define it.  It's
possible we could automate it somehow.

Dean