httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: your mail
Date Sun, 05 Oct 1997 18:24:48 GMT

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

>   *) Change to CGI permission test to allow User/Group tests to do the
>      right thing for suexec. [Randy Terbush] PR#918
>
> I'm still not entirely sure what this is supposed to be doing or why it is
> necessary.  The PR in question is about someone hacking the code to do
> something like suexec but using their own code; I fail to see why this
> change helps anything when people aren't hacking the code.  If they are
> hacking the code, they should change it themself.
>
> What it results in right now is that when you try to execute a CGI without
> the proper permissions set, you get an internal server error and a
> premature end of script headers in the error log instead of getting a
> clear "permission denied" message.

Oh then I flubbed up reformatting the patch or something ... because it's
supposed to give you a clear permission denied message.  And it's supposed
to do that permission checks in a way that matches the ultimate uid/gid
that'll be running the script.  I'll back it out before rolling 1.3b1 if
nobody has a chance to fix it.

Dean