httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b1: Tue Sep 30 10:00:33 PDT 1997
Date Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:44:12 GMT
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> I agree with Marc completely. I see no need to put this code out
> yet.
>

> > On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, sameer wrote:
> >
> > > 	I'm +1 on the 1.3b1 release Wednesday. There's really no
> > > reason to delay a beta past a feature freeze. If we're in freeze then
> > > we're in a feature freeze and we may as well put out a beta.
> >
> > Except for the fact that some things are horrible broken and will
> > endlessly confuse people.

Nothing in the status seems horribly broken to me.  What is it you're
referring to?

> > Remember, in the latter 1.2 betas people got into the idea that a beta is
> > good, "stable" (for some definition of stable), and nearly completed
> > software.  Little oopsies that cause four dozen releases in 1 day because
> > we keep messing up don't count.

That's because we kept saying "this is a release candidate".  I'm not
proposing we say that.  I'm proposing we release it, and make the known
issues clear ... say by putting them in the announcement message.

> > 1.3 isn't at that point.  Things like the new error logging code are not
> > ready for prime time.  "hey, that message is useless.  Oh, you need to
> > increase your LogLevel.  hey, those errnos being reported are stupid.  Oh,
> > you need to decrease you LogLevel."

I think a 5 minute fix for this would be to separate the verbosity from
the logging level into another directive.

Dean