httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [Fwd: serious problem w Apache 1.2.4 CGI and HTTP requests from Java applet in MSIE 4.0] (fwd)
Date Thu, 30 Oct 1997 20:44:33 GMT
On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> Oh yeah, and I can't believe that IIS doesn't use chunking for this
> response.  Can you say broken?  Maybe MUST isn't strong enough for them.

Now wait... I'm pretty sure that the HTTP/1.1 spec doesn't require
chunking to be ever used. Any HTTP/1.1 agent has to be able to
understand it, but AFAIK, they never have to send it.

Now if you don't chunk a HTTP/1.1 response, and also don't send a
Content-length, and then try to keep a persistent connection (as
Netscape Enterprise Server has been known to do), now *that*'s
broken...

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us