httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: C++ (was Re: in progress: vhosts yet again)
Date Mon, 06 Oct 1997 07:18:19 GMT
On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> What's STL?

Standard Template Library, or something of the sort. Although using
the term "standard" when talking about C++ is kinda funny, IMO.

[...]

> We'd alienate 3rd party modules, they'd all need rewrites into C++... my
> particular vision of 2.0 at the moment doesn't require module rewrites,
> just a few name changes (to abstract all system calls).

Well, we're requiring rewrites of modules for 2.0, anyway, if I have
get my wish. Actually, my plans for 2.0 involve a C-based Apache, but
include the possibility of writing modules in C++ if so desired (the
plans that I've detailed in the past regarding 2.0 API changes that I
may actually code someday involve enabling all the Apache "objects" as
actual C++ objects if desired). Although we could write the Apache
core in C++, I suppose.

I don't think C++ compilers are enough widespread, though. And any
sort of standard libraries are certainly not. I think that if we can't
compile Apache in the same development environments we can compile it in now,
we shouldn't make the switch.

And some people think C++ is just silly, anyway.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>