httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b1: Tue Sep 30 10:00:33 PDT 1997
Date Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:05:48 GMT
On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Tim Hudson wrote:

>     I've already had a couple of seriously experienced Mac programmers
> warn me away from using the cross-compiler setup even though the CodeWarrior
> cross-compiler is the best that they have seen. There are behavioural
> differences and you really have to build things using the PowerPlant side of
> things to get any real cross-platform portability and then you are not
> really dealing with Windows code development.

Yes, well, that makes sense. I was just saying it had Win32 libraries
and an x86 compiler and linker. I wasn't saying it was a good idea to
develop Apache on it (especially since CodeWarrior doesn't support
MSVC make/project files).

>     Is there a MacOS port of Apache hidding somewhere that I've not heard
> about given that a few people seem to have Mac development environments
> hiding in the wings?

Well, yes, there is a MacOS port of Apache, but we didn't have
anything to do with it. Tenon has a commercial version of Apache for
the Mac, WebTen, which is basically the Unix Apache running on top of
their MachTen VM. Retails for about $400, if I recall correctly, has a
GUI and supports WebSTAR-style CGIs as well as all the Unix things
(including Perl).

But as for a real MacOS port of Apache, no, it doesn't exist. And
likely won't. I've been toying with the idea of doing one for about
three years now. But I don't think it's easily possible: Apache was
written for Unix. We have a Windows port, but Windows is close enough
to Unix to make this possible; it has mostly POSIX-like
libraries, a similar filesystem, socket-based networking, a (not
quite) Unix-like process model, pipes, a command line, and half a
dozen other things. The MacOS has none of the above.

It would be *possible* to do a MacOS port. It would be a real test of
how far OS abstraction could be taken, and that might be a valid
reason for doing it, but I don't think it's neccessarily worth doing
it to have Apache running on the MacOS. For one thing, Apache will run
on Rhapsody, being based on BSD 4.4 and all. AFAIK, Apple is planning
on bundling Apache with the optional Unix software package install on
Rhapsody.

Although that doesn't mean a MacOS port will not be done. The Apache
group is a volunteer organization, and things get done because someone
decides to do them. I mean, we'd been talking about a Windows NT port
since practically day one. But it didn't happen until Ambarish just
did it.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>