httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com>
Subject Re: dist size (was Re: cvs commit: apachen/htdocs/manual LICENSE)
Date Sun, 19 Oct 1997 22:26:52 GMT
On Sun, 19 Oct 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> No. The license needs to appear in the source files to remove all
> doubt. There are enough questions about the license as it is.

That's because the license doesn't make sense.

At first glance, it appears that I have to include the license in any
derivation but that means that any derivation is subject to all the terms
of that license because it has to be included.  All the terms of the
license include it is freely redistributable in source and binary.  So how
does someone impose their restriction that you have to buy them a beer
before you can use it?  Do you tack on a beer copyright and then say "oh,
this is also part of the copyright even though the above implicitly says
it isn't"?

Now I'm no lawyer so I'm supposed to be confused by magic words, and I'm
sure there are legal precedents for it that make it quite clear.

> If you want to reduce the size of the distribution, remove the
> docs. I don't quite understand why we ever decided they needed to
> be included.

We have enough trouble making two "distributions" available for two
platforms (ie. Win32 an Unix).  Splitting out the docs would make it even
worse.  It also makes it even more likely that there will be versions
floating around without docs.

Are people finding the size of the distribution to be a problem?  It is a
server; therefore it often runs on servers.  Often servers are connected
to the Internet, and they often have reasonable bandwidth because they are
servers therefore a 1.4 meg file is no problem.

Compare that to IE4 (what... 40 megs?) which is a client so it is often
run on clients.  Often clients are connected to the Internet, and often
they have sucky bandwidth yet they still download the IE of the day.
Heck, MS's latest bugfix for IE is around the size of Apache.  <g>  Not an
excuse for bloat, but simply a question as to if it is really a problem.