httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Subject Re: night of the dead Apache
Date Sat, 01 Nov 1997 04:39:54 GMT
>Is it possible that the parent is killing off the only child
>that has the mutex lock, and that killing it doesn't free the lock?
>which kills off the two children that were created during the
>big sequence (not trussed).  One of those two had the mutex.
>Hmmm, time to test USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT.

Yup, that's the problem.  Changing back to USE_FCNTL_SERIALIZED_ACCEPT
fixes it.  The fcntl mutex is unlocked when the child is killed, whereas
the pthreads mutex appears to remain locked.  I'm not sure if we should
try to fix it or just remove the code.  Dean?  Basically, we'd need
a way to check in the child's HUP/USR1 handler whether or not it has the
mutex and unlock it if it does.

....Roy