httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <>
Subject night of the dead Apache
Date Sat, 01 Nov 1997 01:11:37 GMT
Hmmmm, something is wrong with 1.3b3-dev.  When reading my normal
test file (a page with about 120 small inline images), it seems to
pause every 10-20 requests for about a half-second.  Afterwords,
if I try to request /server-status, it *sometimes* just sits there
spinning -- all the server children and parent are sleeping, yet
Netscape (3.01/X) is waiting for a response.  I then did the same
request via telnet (in parallel) and am getting no response from
the server at all.  It connects, but nothing happens, and nothing
shows up in the error_log with full logging enabled.

5 minutes later, both requests are still dead.

MinSpareServers 2
MaxSpareServers 4
StartServers 4
MaxClients 150
MaxRequestsPerChild 60

no proxy, no vhosts, basic Apache+mod_info+mod_status

It recovers immediately after a kill -USR1 or kill -HUP (I tested both).
It is repeatable, but I'm not sure what triggers it.  It may be related
to keep-alive, since I have not been able to repeat it when there are no
children in keep-alive state.

I'll try repeating it with httpd -X, but I doubt that will work.

View raw message