httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: apache_1.3b3-dev_win32_a.exe
Date Tue, 21 Oct 1997 15:34:02 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> I've played with this installer for a bit, and looks great. But there are
> a few problems:
>
>  - It is 1.3b3-dev instead of 1.3b2. We'll get really confused if we
>    start putting out different NT versions from Unix versions.

That's coz it was a _test_ install. Clearly we need to roll 1.3b3
instead of 1.3b2, since I have fixed two major bugs.

>  - It still installs by default to \Program Files\Apache, instead of
>    \Apache

That was intentional - that's where things should install. It also
creates an icon which launches with the right arguments (at least, it
should).

>  - It puts its program group straight onto the Start menu, not
>    Start|Programs.

Bugger. I thought I'd fixed that.

>  - It does not expand the conf/*-win files to replace \Apache with the
>    correct installation directory, if not the default

Doesn't it? Damn, I knew I'd missed something.

>  - Why is it in Package-for-the-Web format rather than the normal
>    InstallShield single-executable?

That is the "normal InstallShield single-executable", at least for this
version of InstallShield.

>  - There is no description of the differences between Full, Typical
>    and Compact installations. Is there any? Also if you deselect
>    (say) Log Files from the Custom option it does not _create_ the
>    logs directory. I think it should still create this directory, even
>    if the user doesn't want to put any files in it, since Apache requires
>    it to startup.

Log Files _only_ creates the directory. Deselecting it, naturally, stops
it from doing that. Custom is intended for people who know what they are
doing.

>  - It defaults to compact rather than typical install.

Does it? Ooops.

>  - It adds a registry key for "Apache inc." with various keys
>    such as "Apache WebServer for Win32", "1.31.000". Is this install
>    shield? It should be possible to turn off all registry stuff.

Yes, I think I can - I inherited that from the previous author.

>  - As already noted there is no documentation or source.
>
>  - The program menu item (Start|Apache WebServer...|Apache WebServer)
>    seems to be invalid on my system. It is a shortcut to
>       "C:\apache*pache -d c:\apache2"
>    where the "*" above is a block character (I installed to \apache2)

Yike! Hmmm ... I think I may know what's going on there.

>  - I'm not sure that the name any typography of "Apache WebServer for
>    Win32" is correct. It is self-evidently for Win32 otherwise it would
>    not have been installed, and "Web Server" is two words. But I think
>    it should just be called "Apache".

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,