httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/main alloc.c util_script.c
Date Mon, 20 Oct 1997 18:24:53 GMT
Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 20 Oct 1997 ben@hyperreal.org wrote:
> >           }
> >   +   /* FIXME: Probably ought to do this in another buffer - Ben */
> >   +   /* This really annoys me - Win95 (and not NT) spawn[vl]e don't like '/'! -
Ben */
> >   +   for(s=r->filename ; *s ; ++s)
> >   +       if(*s == '/')
> >   +           *s='\\';
> >
> >       if ((!r->args) || (!r->args[0]) || (ind(r->args, '=') >= 0)) {
> >           if (is_exe || is_binary) {
>
> Ben, have you found this necessary now? When Ambarish's first NT port came
> to light I noticed that my Win95 machines would not run CGI without
> exactly this patch, but you could run CGI fine:
>
> | Date: Sun, 25 May 1997 14:18:08 +0100 (BST)
> | From: Ben Laurie <ben@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
> | To: dev-nt@apache.org
> | Subject: Re: [BUG] spawning children on Win95
> |
> | Paul Sutton wrote:
> | > I couldn't get CGI to work on Windows 95... the reason seems to be that
> | > spawn*() functions do not understand forward slashes (/) in the pathname.
>
> | Hmmm ... I've got CGI working on Win95, without changes. But you are right,
> | / _used_ to work fine instead of \ everywhere, but now some functions need it.
> | Irritating, isn't it?
> |
> | I suppose the way you are doing your CGIs must be different from me...
>
> This could've have been fixed way back in May, though I guess that
> perhaps MS have been fiddling with the system calls in service packs
> and IE4 "upgrades".

Strange isn't it? I'm afraid I don't remember the history, but anyway,
if you needed / converted to \ then that's what you needed. It ain't my
fault you didn't add a patch.

I wonder - the critical difference in my test scenario is that I was
using all local disk (back in May? whenever), but now I'm using a
network mount.

> Incidently it would be nice if the patched code used the Apache style
> guide.

Hmmm ... if I knew in what way I'd erred, I'd fix it.

Cheers,

Ben.