httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: C++ (was Re: in progress: vhosts yet again)
Date Mon, 06 Oct 1997 10:28:58 GMT
Dean Gaudet wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> > BTW, chaps, I've started using STL recently. You really don't know what
> > you are missing. Did I ever mention that C++ is a really nice language?
> What's STL?

Standard Template Library. Somewhat misnamed, coz in most
implementations there's no library, just headers. Over the years I've
met many things that have improved my life as a programmer, but none so
much for so little effort as STL has.

There was an article in Dr. Dobbs recently. SGI are now the keepers of
the standard (it's becoming part of ANSI C++, I believe). Was HP before.
The main man's name is Stepanov (I'm telling you this stuff as search
engine fuel).

> I wouldn't mind revisiting the C++ debate.  I'm happy if we restrict
> ourselves to things that are implemented efficiently ... i.e. stuff for
> which the compiler knows all the method offsets at compile time, so that
> rules out multiple inheritance.  We'd have to compare the subset that
> works in both MS C++ and g++.  And we'd lose platforms that have native
> ansi-c compilers but don't have a g++ port (such as ... ?).

Multiple inheritance is ruled out by good programming practice anyway -
it's a nightmare to use. STL's main thrust is efficiency.

There are almost no platforms that don't support C++ these days.

> We'd alienate 3rd party modules, they'd all need rewrites into C++... my
> particular vision of 2.0 at the moment doesn't require module rewrites,
> just a few name changes (to abstract all system calls).

I don't see why we shouldn't have a C compatibility layer.

Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 994 6435|Apache Group member
Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 994 6472|
and Technical Director|Email: |Apache-SSL author
A.L. Digital Ltd,     |
London, England.      |"Apache: TDG"

View raw message