httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Kraemer <Martin.Krae...@mch.sni.de>
Subject Re: dist size (was Re: cvs commit: apachen/htdocs/manual LICENSE)
Date Mon, 20 Oct 1997 10:49:11 GMT
On Sun, Oct 19, 1997 at 08:09:24PM -0400, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>     One reason we include them is because they document the software the
>     *user* has, as opposed to the latest&greatest which is on the Web
>     site.

Another point is that having the documentation at hand invites the
webmaster to offer it on her site (presumably alongside the distribution
package), which in turn increases the public awareness of Apache and
gets us new satisfied "customers".  Personally, I like the documentation
very much (although a structured "Apache Book" .shtml page which
<!--#include-->s the directives.html, all directives, and the mod and
misc directories as appendix would not be a bad idea. Some people like
to have a complete reference manual on paper. There is a manual.ps.gz
and a manual.tar.gz in ftp://dev/httpd/ but they're both from 1995.

>      They should have a local copy
>     (that doesn't keep hitting on our Web site)
Good argument.

>     [...] IMHO, the docs
>     should be bundled.
+1