httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sameer <sam...@c2.net>
Subject Re: Stronghold httpsd and IE4.0(fwd)
Date Mon, 06 Oct 1997 15:44:13 GMT
	Thanks. Can you try the following:

- Add "#define NO_WRITEV" to the top of buff.c and rebuild Stronghold 2.1.

	We just had a bug report which at first glance looks like this
one, which was fixed with the above.
	I'll look over your problem in more detail shortly. Thanks.

> [...]
>
> I've written a small script to trap the headers sent by MSIE4.0, and
> they appeared to be in line with the headers sent by Netscape 3.02.
> But I could only test the headers for a http session.  I tried to
> trap the headers for a https session and got 87 bytes of gibberish
> from MSIE4.0
>
> PLease let me know anything else I can do to help this bug tracking
> effort.  I am home now (after being at work all night to install
> the Stronghold 2.1 server during our "maintenance window" (3am-6am EST).
>
> And will be at the machines again at ~9am EST.  If something is
> *URGENT*, please page me by sending mail to rrognlie@pager.erols.com
>
> Richard
>
> > 	So I'm cc'ing the Apache Group because I think you win the
> > award for finding the first MSIE HTTP/1.1 compliance bug. The reason
> > your telnet example failed is because HTTP/1.1 requires that you send
> > to the server the Host: header.
> > 	In order to help us debug this MSIE HTTP/1.1 bug, please setup
> > a server using netcat. I.e:
> >
> > server% nc -l -p 4352
> >
> > and then connect to http://server:4352/ with MSIE and tell us what
> > netcat spits out. Then we'll know exactly what MSIE is sending to the
> > server. then you can cut & paste that directly into Stronghold or
> > Apache and we'll see what the output is.
> >
> > 	We'll install MSIE 4.0 here and do testing as described above
> > as well.
> >

> > ----- Forwarded message from Richard Rognlie -----
> >
> > >From rrognlie@erols.com  Wed Oct  1 11:14:27 1997
using -f
> > subject: Re: Stronghold httpsd and IE4.0    [2229408]
> > references: <199709292201.PAA00129@gabber.c2.net>
> > to: stronghold-support@c2.net
> > from: Richard Rognlie <rrognlie@erols.com>
> > organization: Erol's Internet
> > cc: web-staff@erols.com, mjo4@erols.com
> > reply-to: srs@c2.net
> > date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:14:17 -0400
> > message-id: <343292F9.7F14@erols.com>
> > x-mailer: Mozilla 3.03Gold (WinNT; U)
> > Cc: stronghold-support@c2.net
> >
> > Further information on the IE4.0 and Stronghold 2.1 problem
> >

> > If you *disable* HTTP/1.1 support on IE4.0, it talks to the
> > httpsd just fine.  But HTTP/1.1 seems to be bothering it.
> >

> > A telnet example...
> >
> > 	% telnet swww.erols.com 80
> > 	GET /erols/signup/signup.cgi HTTP/1.0
> >
> > 	*gobs of HTML deleted*
> >
> > 	% telnet swww.erols.com 80
> > 	GET /erols/signup/signup.cgi HTTP/1.1
> >
> > 	HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
> > 	Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:14:21 GMT
> > 	Server: Stronghold/2.1 Apache/1.2.4
> > 	Connection: close
> > 	Transfer-Encoding: chunked
> >
> > 	187
> > 	<HTML><HEAD>
> > 	<TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>
> > 	</HEAD><BODY>
> > 	<H1>Bad Request</H1>
> > 	Your browser sent a request that
> > 	this server could not understand.<P>
> > 	<P>There was also some additional information available about the error:<BR><CODE>[Wed
Oct  1 14:14:22 1997] access to /erols/signup/signup.cgi failed for 127.0.0.1, reason: client
sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname