httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Richard Rognlie <rrogn...@gamerz.net>
Subject Re: Stronghold httpsd and IE4.0(fwd)
Date Wed, 01 Oct 1997 23:23:46 GMT
I realize now that

	% telnet swww.erols.com 80
	GET /erols/signup/signup.cgi HTTP/1.1

	*bad response*
	%

*should* happen, since my telnet session sent incomplete data.

A couple interesting tidbits that I can feep you until tomorrow when I
will be at the office (when I have IE4.0 loaded somewhere)...

Sample MSIE 4.0 broken URL for our site

	https://swww.erols.com/erols/signup/signup.cgi

In IE4.0 you can set "Advanced Properties" and disable HTTP/1.1.
If you do this, exit and restart the IE4.0 application, it works
fine with our Stronghold server.

But if you set HTTP/1.1 and restart, it dies with a variety of
error messages depending on the cgi you try to bring up.  Some
of them work, but most die.

Also interesting, is that we have a non-SSL server (test.web.erols.net)
where we stage things before installing them on the SSL server, and
that server is Apache 1.2.1.  MSIE 4.0 has no trouble there.

	http://swww.erols.com/erols/signup/signup.cgi

*works*.

	https://swww.erols.com/erols/signup/signup.cgi

does not.

I've written a small script to trap the headers sent by MSIE4.0, and
they appeared to be in line with the headers sent by Netscape 3.02.
But I could only test the headers for a http session.  I tried to
trap the headers for a https session and got 87 bytes of gibberish
from MSIE4.0

PLease let me know anything else I can do to help this bug tracking
effort.  I am home now (after being at work all night to install
the Stronghold 2.1 server during our "maintenance window" (3am-6am EST).

And will be at the machines again at ~9am EST.  If something is
*URGENT*, please page me by sending mail to rrognlie@pager.erols.com

Richard

> 	So I'm cc'ing the Apache Group because I think you win the
> award for finding the first MSIE HTTP/1.1 compliance bug. The reason
> your telnet example failed is because HTTP/1.1 requires that you send
> to the server the Host: header.
> 	In order to help us debug this MSIE HTTP/1.1 bug, please setup
> a server using netcat. I.e:
>
> server% nc -l -p 4352
>
> and then connect to http://server:4352/ with MSIE and tell us what
> netcat spits out. Then we'll know exactly what MSIE is sending to the
> server. then you can cut & paste that directly into Stronghold or
> Apache and we'll see what the output is.
>
> 	We'll install MSIE 4.0 here and do testing as described above
> as well.
>

> ----- Forwarded message from Richard Rognlie -----
>
> >From rrognlie@erols.com  Wed Oct  1 11:14:27 1997
-f
> subject: Re: Stronghold httpsd and IE4.0    [2229408]
> references: <199709292201.PAA00129@gabber.c2.net>
> to: stronghold-support@c2.net
> from: Richard Rognlie <rrognlie@erols.com>
> organization: Erol's Internet
> cc: web-staff@erols.com, mjo4@erols.com
> reply-to: srs@c2.net
> date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 14:14:17 -0400
> message-id: <343292F9.7F14@erols.com>
> x-mailer: Mozilla 3.03Gold (WinNT; U)
> Cc: stronghold-support@c2.net
>
> Further information on the IE4.0 and Stronghold 2.1 problem
>

> If you *disable* HTTP/1.1 support on IE4.0, it talks to the
> httpsd just fine.  But HTTP/1.1 seems to be bothering it.
>

> A telnet example...
>
> 	% telnet swww.erols.com 80
> 	GET /erols/signup/signup.cgi HTTP/1.0
>
> 	*gobs of HTML deleted*
>
> 	% telnet swww.erols.com 80
> 	GET /erols/signup/signup.cgi HTTP/1.1
>
> 	HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
> 	Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 18:14:21 GMT
> 	Server: Stronghold/2.1 Apache/1.2.4
> 	Connection: close
> 	Transfer-Encoding: chunked
>
> 	187
> 	<HTML><HEAD>
> 	<TITLE>400 Bad Request</TITLE>
> 	</HEAD><BODY>
> 	<H1>Bad Request</H1>
> 	Your browser sent a request that
> 	this server could not understand.<P>
> 	<P>There was also some additional information available about the error:<BR><CODE>[Wed
Oct  1 14:14:22 1997] access to /erols/signup/signup.cgi failed for 127.0.0.1, reason: client
sent HTTP/1.1 request without hostname

--
 /  \__  | Richard Rognlie / Sr. Internet Developer / Erol's Internet
 \__/  \ | E-Mail: rrognlie@gamerz.net