httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "David D'Antonio" <...@individual.com>
Subject RE: Win32 binary
Date Fri, 17 Oct 1997 22:32:05 GMT
I'd say its pretty trivial, given VC++ and their samples. :-) What is usually involved
is having the program to be started (Apache in this case) write a registry key for its
location. Then the tray reads it and does the API call to start the server (usually
detached so the ugly DOS window doesn't show up).

If the code is written properly, then it runs under NT 4.0 as well and simply starts/stops
the
service instead. The nice part is that no changes are needed to the Apache code (its
still command line based). Well, that's not entirely true for Win95 since you'll need some
way for the tray app to get the status and stop the server nicely. What we did is use events
in place of the service manager calls so again, the code worked with a "simple recompile"
(ha!)
oneither win95 or WinNT 4.0.

If people want, I'll see if I can rustle up some code to demonstrate this...

DDA