httpd-dev mailing list archives

From C...@PROCESS.COM (Rodent of Unusual Size)
Subject RE: PR#1309 - buildmark
Date Thu, 01 Jan 1970 00:00:00 GMT
>From the fingers of Paul Sutton flowed the following:
>
>At the moment we build buildmark.c with `date`. This may have problems on
>other Locales, and obviously will never work on NT/95. So perhaps we
>should use __DATE__ and __TIME__ instead?

    As I pointed out a few weeks ago, I'm not entirely convinced that
    these macros are universally available.  Are they dictated by ANSI?
    Because the man page for the bundled ANSI compiler on my system says
    these are "reserved for future use."

    If ANSI says they must be there, I'll go along with this; otherwise
    how about something like

cat << EOT > buildmark.c
#ifdef WIN32
const char SERVER_BUILT[] = __DATE__ " " __TIME__;
#else
const char SERVER_BUILT[] = "`date`";
#endif
EOT

    Will that work on NT?  Since we're mandating a specific compiler on
    Win32, it would seem to make sense to special-case that, rather than
    the multiplicity of UNIX compilers.

    #ken    P-)}