httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject Questionable bug in SIGTERM handling.. (fwd)
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 13:48:59 GMT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 18:53:41 +0100 (BST)
From: Jules Bean <jmlb2@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Subject: Questionable bug in SIGTERM handling..

The way apache (1.2.4) handles SIGTERM handling is questionable....

I understand it SIGKILL the child web servers, to ensure a quick exit, but
the problem is that it SIGKILLs all its children... including, for
example, any program spawned as a log pipe.  This program then can't catch
the signal to flush its buffer, leaving broken log files.

Incidentally SIGUSR1 also doesn't work with a piped child process for log
files (but then again, you probably knew that, since it is documented as
being broken).

Regards,

Julian Bean
Jellybean Consulting