httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: CHANGES entry on nph- CGIs
Date Tue, 30 Sep 1997 21:38:21 GMT

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > >      the output before sending.  The programmer can still use "nph-"
> > >      CGIs, which provide a direct socket to the client without
> > >      Apache getting involved, but they are no longer necessary for
> > >      many applications.  "nph-" CGIs are not fully compatible with
> >
> > They're not at all compatible with HTTP/1.1 unless they implement
> > chunking.
>
> They are completely compatible with HTTP/1.1 without implementing chunking
> iff clients aren't sending data to them with a PUT, etc.  Saying they are
> not compatible implies that they will fall over horribly.  In reality,
> they will only do so under certain conditions.  Nothing is preventing a
> nph CGI from sending a non-chunked HTTP/1.1 response or a HTTP/1.0
> response to a 1.1 request.  People just scare easily.

Unless they send a Content-Length or implement chunking they are *not*
HTTP/1.1 compliant, they have to send HTTP/1.0 in that case... I wasn't
even referring to client data in the request.  I'd rather we just say
they're deprecated than explain the reality.  Folks that understand all
this probably would rather write a module anyhow.

> On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, sameer wrote:
>
> > 	Actually, now nph CGI *is* compatible. nph stands for
> > "non-parsed headers" -- it doesn't stand for "direct socket
> > connection" -- Before the nph- meant you had a direct socket
> > connection, which wasn't really the true meaning of nph. Now nph means
> > that the headers are passed direct to the client, without being
> > parsed.. I.e. non-parsed.
>
> Erk.  That is bad.  That breaks something.  Well, it could just be the
> current implementation.  Unbuffered CGIs aren't working well for me.  Not
> well enough to get rid of nph == direct socket.  More when I have looked
> at what is happening...

Well, considering that nph and non-nph follow the exact same code path
except for the parsing of headers ... I can't imagine how they would be
different for you.

nph == direct socket is gone, has been for two months.

Dean