httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Browser capabilities?
Date Mon, 29 Sep 1997 18:04:51 GMT
Navigator since 2.0.

MSIE since at least 3.0.  2.0 is so buggy though that people can hardly
use it for longer than it requires to download 3.0 from microsoft.

I think Lynx has had it since 2.6.

No idea about AOL.

Squid inserts Host: headers I *think*, but I'm not 100% certain.  Do we
insert Host: headers?

An important question is "what crawlers support Host: headers?"  As of 10
months ago none did.  I just took a peek at HotWired's robot.txt log and
it appears that AltaVista, and HotBot's crawlers use Host -- I didn't look
for anyone else.  And it should be no surprise that MSIE 4.0 and
Communicator 4.0 in crawler mode also use Host: headers.

Dean