httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: indent, line splitting?
Date Tue, 16 Sep 1997 01:33:02 GMT

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> We definitely need to hand edit a file after it has been indent'd.
> I spent about two hours per non-header file doing that the other night,
> but that was mostly because I think the core files need extra attention
> to readability.

I've been using "cvs diff" after the indent then studying that.  The main
things I've had to tweak I posted about ... others include:

- improper comment indenting:

    /* foo
       * bar
       * baf
     */

- indenting non-preprocessor stuff 5 spaces after a #ifdef/#endif:

#ifdef blue
     extern int black ();
     extern void white ();
#endif

    I dunno where it came up with 5 spaces ...

- other random 5 space indentations

- it gets confused by API_EXPORT sometimes and indents subsequent lines

I notice it's also taking one line things:

    if (blat) break;

and making them two lines.  But I'm not touching these, there are so
many of them.

Anything else you're noticing Roy?

GNU indent has the "-l" option to limit line length.  I haven't tried it
though ... I'm scared of it given the other brutality I've seen it commit.

Dean