httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: AddModule doesn't work correctly (fwd)
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:49:10 GMT
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:
>
> > I think I'd like to see DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT default to 0 if it's
> > otherwise undefiend, and mod_dld, mod_dll or whatever they're called have
> > Configure time rules added to them to bump DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT to
> > whatever is needed.
> >
> > Or I'll just add -DDYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT=0 to my performance page :)
>
> Is the extra 256 bytes per config really that performance-impeding? It's
> only done at startup - merge_per_dir_configs() uses its own allocation
> of total_modules, for example.

Well it's possible there'd be enough (suppose there's several hundred
virtual hosts) to waste a bunch of pages... I dunno.  It just seems like a
waste to me.

> Anyhow, here's a patch that:
>
> 1. Fixes create_empty_config (the previous patch)
> 2. Add code to add_module() to exit and complain if you exceed your
>    DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT

This works ... but it doesn't sit well with me ... I hate how we just
waste module indexes when the ClearModules happens.  I'd prefer to see us
require Clear/AddModules to be the first directives in the conf files and
we use packed indicies and regenerate the default configs after we're done
with those directives.

But at a minimum your patch here should go in, so +1.

> 3. Adds #ifndefs around #define DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT so you can change it
>    at compile-time without editing httpd.h

I just committed this 'cause I wanted to add it to my perf page (and it's
sort of something missed in the previous patches that added #ifndef
wrappers).

Dean