httpd-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 18:26:18 GMT
Actually I have piped logs on my work machine ... it's just the http_main
work I did on one of my home machines as a result of simulating various
loads against the new code which I can't get at right this second.  When I
go home tonight I'll find the box with my ethernet hub and get this
machine up and load the patches onto my laptop and bring them into the
office tomorrow.  Not quite sneakernet, but close enough ;)  I'll also
double check I don't have any other bug fixes lying on that machine.

Dean

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Randy Terbush wrote:

> 
> I see no problem with commiting this stuff Dean. If you need 
> someone else to commit it and you have managed to push a patch off 
> to somewhere, let me know.
> 
> 
> > My piped log patch can wait for 1.3b2.  My scoreboard fixes patch (fixes
> > bugs I introduced during the 1.3 alpha dev cycle) can also wait for 1.3b2
> > ... back a month ago I asked for an exception to get the piped logs thing
> > in after the freeze.  We can't propose new features for 1.3.1 ... unless
> > you define piped logs as a bug fix (I can easily see this :). 
> > 
> > On the other hand I could commit both now (er, well I can't, until I get
> > my development machine with the latest version of it back on-net... !@#$
> > phone company).  We could release 1.3b1 and suffer the bug reports, we're
> > going to get them anyhow... it is a beta after all.  (Just don't say it's
> > a release candidate :) 
> > 
> > Dean
> > 
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > 
> > > According to the schedule, 1.3beta1 should be release early next
> > > week. There are a coupla patches being worked on and some offered
> > > to be included before the release. Some are sizable enough that,
> > > once voted and and commited, should be tested by ourselves pretty
> > > rigorously before releasing a beta on the world. IMO, this blows
> > > the 9/15 date right out of the water.
> > > 
> > > Remember the original plans for 1.3? It was basically to be 1.2 with
> > > the WinNT port added. The idea was that we finally had a version
> > > of Apache that could compile and run under NT/Windows and lets
> > > get that out. Since then, 1.3 has grown so that there are many
> > > other additions and improvements overs the 1.2 codebase. This is,
> > > to my mind, a Good Thing, but I think there is a time to say enough
> > > is enough.
> > > 
> > > We need to get 1.3.0 out ASAP. We need a version of Apache that can
> > > compile and run under NT/Windows now. I think that unless patches
> > > are directly related to that, they should wait until 1.3.1. I'd
> > > like to see a very small number of betas for 1.3, and not the
> > > ever-growing numbers we had with 1.2.
> > > 
> > > So this is my standing vote: We do NOT release 1.3beta1 until
> > > Ben and Alexei (and whoever else) is happy with the NT-side of
> > > it. If this means a slip in the date, so be it. We want NT people
> > > to be able to _compile_ this version. All other patches, unless
> > > they fix _serious_, life-threatening bugs should wait for 1.3.1.
> > > The OS abstraction stuff sounds like it helps the NT stuff, and
> > > maybe even is required at this point (or some level of it at
> > > least), so that should be looked at. But only as far as it fixes
> > > some NT problems.
> > > 
> > > Anyway, that's my rant.
> > > -- 
> > > ====================================================================
> > >       Jim Jagielski            |       jaguNET Access Services
> > >      jim@jaguNET.com           |       http://www.jaguNET.com/
> > >             "Look at me! I'm wearing a cardboard belt!"
> > > 
> 
> 
> 
> 


Mime
View raw message