httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: graceful restarts & log file rotation again
Date Tue, 09 Sep 1997 00:27:08 GMT

On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> 1) the logfiles could close and the new file descriptors for the new logs
> could be passed to the children?

See my other response to Elizabeth.

> 2) httpd children could be told to turn off persistant HTTP, thus ensuring
> that the current request is the very last one served?

This happens already.

Perhaps there's a USR1 bug in 1.3 now.

> I forget, does your reliable piped logs solution involve sending the log
> messages to the parent and having the parent do the writing?

No, the parent holds both ends of a pipe() open.  The children hold the
writing end open, the log process holds the reading end open.  If the log
process is killed the children still have the same descriptor to write to,
the parent can start another logging child.

log rotation then becomes a matter of telling your logging child to rotate
the logs ... and your logging child could be running as a completely
different uid from the webserver.

I just have to finish the code ;)

Dean