httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: CVS updating of apache.org website
Date Tue, 02 Sep 1997 17:21:41 GMT
Both your and Ken's desires can be accomplished by doing this:

cvs checkout modules
cd modules
vi modules
... at the end of the file add "apache -a apache-X.Y" where X.Y is the
current devel version
cvs commit modules

Which adds an alias "apache" pointing to "apache-X.Y".

However!  The reason I am against having a module named apache is that
when we change the current devel version from one to another it is
possible that someone with a working copy from the old devel tree could
screw up the repository by doing a commit.  By explicitly changing the
name of the module every time we avoid this problem.  (It's the same
reason I would change the name of a structure member whose semantics
change significantly ... to force the compiler to diagnose an error rather
than introduce a subtle bug.)

Ken, branches are not only poorly supported, but they're also slow.  For
example, to access a branch revision, CVS starts with the current HEAD,
applies reverse patches to get to the branch point, then applies forward
patches to get to the branch revision desired.  On some of our files this
is getting up into the 30 or 40 patches range (CHANGES is the worst).
CVS/RCS strongly favour development on the HEAD ... because there's a
plain copy of the HEAD in each file that can be copied out when doing a
checkout.

Dean