httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Dean Gaudet <dgau...@arctic.org>
Subject Re: Hyperreal II
Date Tue, 02 Sep 1997 06:25:43 GMT

On Wed, 27 Aug 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> Since my argument so important, I will give it here: FreeBSD works,
> Linux is cool.  <g>  Whatever you do I'm sure both will work fine
> (although I am quite leery about a lot of Linux things... but that's
> your problem, not mine), I just think FreeBSD is nicer, more stable
> development wise, more stable under load, and less of a security
> hassle.  Not that Linux is inherently more secure than FreeBSD,
> but it tends to be more a mish-mash of different software and there
> are, of course, more people writing stupid exploits to break into
> Linux boxes.

I dunno, linux works for me, and has SMP released already.

I can't see how FreeBSD could be any less of a security hassle than Linux.
Brian just has to ignore the temptation to choose the "install all
packages" option ... the libsvga stuff (svga access, without X) is always
security ridden, but is typically only games, which of course won't be
needed on hyperreal.  Other than that, I always search the disk for setuid
and setgid programs ... and blow away all that are unnecessary for the
system.  The stupid XFree autoconfiguration tools come to mind as examples
of things which are just plain not needed on a server.

And, just like FreeBSD, within a day of an exploit appearing there is
typically a .rpm file which fixes your system.

But this is religion :)

Dean