httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/os/win32 ApacheOS.dsp ApacheOS.mak os.c os.h
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 15:11:05 GMT
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
> >
> > pcs         97/09/12 01:03:52
> >
> >   Added:       src/os/win32 ApacheOS.dsp ApacheOS.mak os.c os.h
> >   Log:
> >   Add ApacheOS project to build the OS abstraction libary (in DLL form)
> >   for Win32 systems.
>
> Why do it as a DLL, rather than simply linking it in?

Mainly so that if we ever update htpasswd for windows, or any other
windows support programs, they can use the same compatability library
without having to statically link the library into each program.

Oh and also so that the modules (like mod_status) can link against the
import library, rather than statically linking in ApacheOS to *every*
apache module and wasting runtime memory.

Is there some problem with it being a DLL?

//pcs