httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Thu, 11 Sep 1997 12:09:02 GMT
On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Paul Sutton wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> > > have 1.3 out quick so that we'd have a NT/Windows version available.
> > > In the meantime, mucho stuff has been added making the NT/Win stuff
> > > almost minor in comparison.
> >
> > ... and the one thing I think is pretty essential to support Win32
> > properly - namely the ability to OS abstract Win32 functionality so that
> > it doesn't interfer with the established and proven Unix functionality -
> > is now unlikely to get committed. Umm.
>
> I don't know... There was never a -1 on that. My 0 was only because
> it appears that not all of it was required for the Win32 stuff.
> In any case, my original comments explicitly included your OS
> abstraction.

Ken now has a standing -1 on all non-bug-fixes to 1.3. That's what I was
referring to. I'm all for getting 1.3b1 out asap, provided we accept that
there will be many bug reports and a lot of work to get 1.3b2 ready.

So, I think we should

  - commit the outstanding patches from the latest status
  - commit reliable logs
  - commit the OS abstraction capability
  - all test 1.3b1-dev over the next couple of days
  - release 1.3b1 on (say) 15/16 Sep (as in the current plan)

1.3b1 will be buggy (at least for win32 stuff) so if our testing finds a
few bugs before release we don't need to hold the release. The known_bugs
page can be updated in the dist with the, gulp, known bugs. It is a first
beta after a major development after all, so users must be prepared for
bugs. As far as they are concerned there isn't much difference between a
bug we found a day before the release and one they find the day after
(except with the former they actually get a warning about it in
known_bugs).

//pcs