httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <>
Subject Re: "Not Acceptable" ! (fwd)
Date Sat, 06 Sep 1997 15:25:26 GMT
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> HTTP_ACCEPT_CHARSET=iso-8859-1,*,utf-8
> Is a '*' in the middle of the list valid?

Yes, but pointless since all the charsets have quality preference of 1.0
and Apache does no quality hacking for charset (unlike, say, content type
where Accept: text/html, * _does_ give text/html preference). I don't
think star is defined in RFC2068 but I remember it being discussed and
agreed on http-wg, so it is supported by Apache. I though new browsers
would be intelligent enough to fix the problem where they include
wildcards as *exactly the same* preference as explicitly listed types, but
obviously not if this is typical of NS4. This is a stupid browser -- and
the Accept: line is *still* wrong. Ugh.

Oh and it is also pointless (but harmless) listing iso-8859-1 with an
(implicit) q=1.0 since that is assumed on every request.

> HTTP_ACCEPT=image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

This should have worked. The */* would have even made the media type
text/x-server-parsed-html (or whatever it is) acceptable with a q of 0.01,
so he should not have got the 406 response. Umm.

View raw message