httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apachen/src/support apachectl
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 15:30:56 GMT
On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> I'm still not convinced we should use special tokens as opposed to just
> putting the default paths in the config files.  Since these are -dist
> files, _any_ xxx path we put in them should be changed to yyy (where xxx
> is the default directory and yyy is what the user picks).  If the user
> messes with the -dist files and has trouble when things are replaced, that
> is their problem.
>
> I am not convinced people who don't use the make install will figure it
> out, and it just adds more unnecessary info to diffs between your config
> files and the latest -dist ones if you install in the default directory.

Yes, good points. What I'd personally like to see is a top level Makefile
where you do a "make" (or "make all") which builds the executable *and*
processes the conf/*-dist files into conf/* files (i.e. without
installing) (and optionally also post-process HTML, docs and man pages).

Then the admin can do a "make -n install" to see what is going to be
installed, and can diff the post-processed conf files in conf/* against
their live ones to see the new features, etc.

I.e. the output of "make" at the top level is a complete installation,
just ready for copying into the correct directories. Rather than at the
moment the make install doing the post-processing and the copying in the
same step.

//pcs