httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: This can't be good...
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 10:46:17 GMT
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:
> Marc Slemko wrote:
> > /usr/xpg4/bin/awk supports -v, but I think we want to stay away from -v
> > since it isn't really portable.  My references says -v is only in nawk.
> > We don't need -v for anything do we?
>
> Unfortunately, it looks like Paul's latest "library" patch
> does require it, since it needs to set the value of a variable
> for use in BEGIN...

Damn. Yeah, traditional awk doesn't support -v. It is a nawk/gawk
extension, I think. I shouldn't have used it, but I was trying to avoid
yet another temporary file. awk style assignments (awk '{...}' X=Y) aren't
guaranteed to by set within the BEGIN{} block so if you do do assignments,
you need to use -v.

//pcs