httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Giovanni Maruzzelli <mar...@matrice.it>
Subject Re: [BUG] 1.3 not closing socket on NT
Date Fri, 05 Sep 1997 05:13:36 GMT
On Thu, 4 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:
>
> > I've made some tracing with tcpdump -vv.
> >
> > They seems to show that the problem is originated by the fact that windoz
> > clients (netscape 3 on win95) reset the socket after acknoledging a FIN,
> > versus Unix clients (Lynx 2.6) that after acknoledging a FIN send another
> > FIN..
> >

> So are you saying that it isn't a problem when they send a RST but
> it is when they properly send the FIN?
>
> The version of Navigator you looked at has the stupid behavior of
> terminating connections with a RST.  That ain't TCPC.  I think we
> convinced both MS and NS to stop that stupid behavior for non-abortive
> closes; newer versions will change their behavior to properly send a FIN.
> Not sure if any released versions change it yet.
>
> However, I repeat: this is not a problem in Apache.  CLOSE_WAIT
> is normal.  It is necessary.  It is needed.  If NT can't
> handle it, then it is broken.  Why do you think that having sockets in
> CLOSE_WAIT is a bad thing?  If NT can't handle a couple of hundred of
> those, get mad a MS.

I understand your point, but:

	* this behavior is not happening in Unix
and
	* on NT sockets remains in TIME_WAIT state for something more than
	  4 minutes.
	  On a heavily loaded server, this means that in a couple of
	  minute the server freeze

Seems that NT have not such a big limit in creating socket.

Also, seems that is not capable to negoziate a closing: or you use
lingering on a zero time, or you have to wait for the MSL*2 timeout.

No idea how to modify this behavior?

-giovanni
          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    MATRICE srl                              *
          *    Information Technology Solutions         *
          *    Giovanni Maruzzelli                      *
          *    tel. (+39)(2)2952 0481                   *
          *    fax  (+39)(2)2952 0528                   *
          *    maruzz@matrice.it                        *
          *    http://www.matrice.it                    *