httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Giovanni Maruzzelli <mar...@matrice.it>
Subject Re: [BUG] 1.3a2 on NT (no authorization? not closing socket ?) (fwd)
Date Thu, 04 Sep 1997 08:16:08 GMT
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Ambarish Malpani wrote:

> Hi Giovanni,
>     I recommend you try to set lingering off (i.e.)
>
> struct linger l;
>
> l.l_onoff = 0;
> l.l_linger = 0;
> setsockopt(s, SOL_SOCKET, SO_LINGER, &l, sizeof(l));
>

> (rather than setting l.l_onoff = 1 and l.l_linger = 0). This way,
> you should not get the socket errors with client programs.

Hi Ambarish

thank'you for your quick reply.

Sorry to say that if you set linger_onoff to zero (off) with timeout zero
the sockets remains in TIME_WAIT state.

The strange thing is that this happens only with non-windoz clients.
This can seem little thing, but there's a lot of Unix proxy out there....

For what I've seen, is a problem with the lingering stuff:

if you call a graceful shutdown on the socket (that is what
happens in apache with the lingering_close() function and is what setting
lingering_onoff to zero do implicitly), the socket remain in the TIME_WAIT
state until a timeout in NT - approx 4minutes- expires. If you set
lingering_onoff to 1 with a timeout is exactly the same, the socket
remains in TIME_WAIT state for 4 mins. If you set lingering_onoff to 1 and
timeout to zero, the sockets don't remains in TIME_WAIT, but the browsers
seen a network error (also if you can see the documents correctly
transmitted, via a home brew perl client).

So, there's something strange to be make to have a correct behavior...

ciao,

-giovanni

> Giovanni Maruzzelli wrote:

          *                                             *
          *                                             *
          *    MATRICE srl                              *
          *    Information Technology Solutions         *
          *    Giovanni Maruzzelli                      *
          *    tel. (+39)(2)2952 0481                   *
          *    fax  (+39)(2)2952 0528                   *
          *    maruzz@matrice.it                        *
          *    http://www.matrice.it                    *