httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Sutton <p...@ukweb.com>
Subject Re: [BUG] "make clean" doesn't make clean enough...
Date Tue, 02 Sep 1997 14:30:51 GMT
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Martin Kraemer wrote:
> > ld: /home/martin/apachen/src/os/unix/os.o: \
> >   fatal error: /home/martin/apachen/src/os/unix/os.o: wrong machine type
> > Make: *** [httpd] Error 1                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> because the "make clean" had forgotten to clean the old src/os/unix/os.o
>
> I think the generated Makefile in src/ ought to propagate the make clean
> to $(OSDIR)/ (i.e., os/unix/Makefile).  It doesn't now.

Yes, this is a bug in the current Configure/Makefile combination. It is
actually worse that this, because even updating os/unix/os.c (say with
touch) may not recreate os/unix/os.c (it'll probably create src/os.o).
All this is fixed in my recent make-it-a-library patch currently under
discussion. It tries to treat all sub-dirs equally, building them into
libraries, propagating "make clean" to all of them, etc.

//pcs