httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@organic.com>
Subject Re: AddModule doesn't work correctly (fwd)
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 22:53:28 GMT
On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Dean Gaudet wrote:

> > 2. Add code to add_module() to exit and complain if you exceed your
> >    DYNAMIC_MODULE_LIMIT
>
> This works ... but it doesn't sit well with me ... I hate how we just
> waste module indexes when the ClearModules happens.  I'd prefer to see us
> require Clear/AddModules to be the first directives in the conf files and
> we use packed indicies and regenerate the default configs after we're done
> with those directives.

Actually, I was wrong about what Clear/AddModule does (it's been a while
since I looked at that code). If you Clear/AddModule, total_modules isn't
changed at all. It keeps the modules' index numbers from before. So
that's not a problem. It will never reuse a number, though, for a
different module, so corruption and confusion is not a problem (at least
in 1.3 - in 1.2, it did and it was).

Where you need more room is LoadModule (mod_dld and mod_dll) and
friends.

-- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>