httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: Whither 1.3? Patches, feature freeze, etc...
Date Wed, 10 Sep 1997 19:06:05 GMT
On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Jim Jagielski wrote:

> What is so bad about saying, right now, we focus on getting 1.3.0
> out the door. What we'll be working on will be bug fixes, so the
> "features in waiting" will not require major rework to get folded
> in. Once 1.3.0 is out, we can add these goodies to 1.3.1b1 and
> work on that. Otherwise we are virtually guaranteed that it'll
> be Christmas and we'll still be working on 1.3b17 or whatever.

And what, exactly, is so bad about that? It's not as if we're releasing
commercial software here. We have no paying customers to support, who
want the security of a "final" release. If it takes us until 1.3b17 to
get 1.3 right, so be it.

We haven't released any 1.3 beta yet (except 1.3a1, of course), the
features we're considering are relatively small, and IMHO should go in
now. 1.3.1 is a bad place to put new features, because it does break a
real "final" release. 1.4 is a bad idea in general, because it will give
people the will to write lots of new features, and 2.0 will *never* get

Just commit the stuff to the tree, and let's get Apache into 1.3b1 shape
(which involves mainly Windows stuff, right now).

-- Alexei Kosut <>

View raw message