httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: [STATUS] 1.3b1 Tue Sep 2 19:10:39 EDT 1997
Date Wed, 03 Sep 1997 00:20:51 GMT
On Tue, 2 Sep 1997, Philip A. Prindeville wrote:

> A couple of questions about the mod_speling [sic] -- first, are you
> all trying to be ironic by misspelling that?  And secondly, how

I think it was more sarcastic than ironic (given that it didn't actually
fix spelling originally, just capitalization), but yes, I was attempting to
be in some way "clever" when I named the module. :)

As for the algorithm actually being used to do the spell-checking, my
understanding is that is character-based, and doesn't actually know what
those characters are. In other words, it looks at the bytes that
represent two strings (one of them the requested URL, the other a
filename on the disk), and checks to see if they are "similar" (have
transposed/deleted/added/changed characters).

I don't think it knows anything about the English language.

-- Alexei Kosut <>

View raw message